Play will continue in the rain but will halt immediately for lightning. There is no way of knowing if or when we may experience lightning; however, knowing how the tournament will manage games during lightning delays will be helpful.
We are equipped with lightning detection equipment, and we will blow horns to alert you. If the horns sound, please have your team seek safety very quickly. The tournament will monitor the weather, and after 30 minutes from the last lightning detection, the Resume Play horns will sound. Any updates with regards to weather and having to adjust the schedule will be posted on the tournament website, as well as emails to team coaches and managers. In the case of inclement weather, please check the website regularly for updates.
Upon the Resume Play notifications, please have your team VERY QUICKLY return to the fields for a quick warm-up and then the referees will resume play. It will be important to get your play in and reduce any delays to the following game on your field.
In the case of inclement weather or field conditions, games may:
- Reschedule or Relocate match (Time and location determined by Tournament Director).
- Shortened match – The Tournament Director may reduce the length of halves due to weather conditions before the restart of a match once delayed due to weather; all such matches will be considered official.
- Go to “Penalty Kicks” (Time and location determined by Tournament Director)
- Be Cancelled (The tournament committee has the right to cancel any match. Any game that is not started and is canceled [as opposed to postponed] due to weather or other external conditions will be recorded as a 0-0 tie. Canceled games will not be rescheduled.).
*** If in the event the Tournament Director rules that during the preliminary round “Taking of Kicks from the Penalty Mark.” will be done due to inclement weather or field conditions, the following rule will apply:
- Each team will take a maximum of five (5) penalty kicks.
- At the end of five (5) kicks the game will be scored as a 1-0 win for the team that has scored more penalty kicks, or a 0-0 tie if both teams are tied in penalty kicks at the end of five (5) kicks.
- In the overall standings, 3 points will be given for the win, 1 point for a tie and 0 points for a loss.
- The 1-0 win in penalty kicks will be counted for or against to determine the tie breaker for advancement.
- If regular games have been played in the bracket and the Tournament Director has determined that other games go to penalty kicks due to inclement weather or field conditions, the regular game's score will revert to a 1-0 win or a 0-0 tie.